1.27.2014

A Journey of Becoming

A few months ago, we took a weekend trip with some friends to Asheville, NC and visited the Biltmore House. We went off the beaten path and found a little lake to walk around. This ended up being my favorite part about the trip :) We started imagining how life must have been back in the early 1900's and how differently that would contrast with life today. I like to think the days went a little slower back then.

In a world where everything is instant and now, it sure makes the process of waiting downright hard sometimes. When life doesn't measure up to our expectations, being patient can be quite a challenge.

In Mark Batterson's book, All In, he describes the process of a season of waiting. Batterson says, "No matter what vision God has given you, I can predict it will take longer and be harder than you ever imagined." This is where the season of waiting can quickly turn from hope and anticipation to frustration and disappointment.


 
Batterson writes that waiting is not just about the goal or the destination; rather, " It's about who you become in the process.  And it's not about how quickly you get there.  It's about how far you go."
 

That captures my attention! 


My own process of waiting has become more as I learn new things about myself along the way. I've started looking at waiting as a journey of becoming.
 
The only way through a very long, refining waiting period is to be in the Word and depend on the Lord like never before. Sometimes that is hard and frustration gets in the way. And sometimes the journey doesn't look like you thought it would.  


But keep in mind this season of waiting is more than the quiet struggle: it's about the journey of becoming more like Him. He knows who we are becoming and how far we need to go. This is His plan, after all. 



I know there are so many experiencing loss, hurt, and despair. I hope you are encouraged to know you are not alone.  That on the other side of this season, something beautiful will be born.
  

Isaiah 61:3: To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.

And here are a few other pictures from our Asheville trip. I hope this becomes an annual tradition :)

 









 
I would love to hear from you!












keep in touch!

2 comments :

  1. Asheville is beautiful and naturally adorned with such lovely visitors. In addition to your writing, my journey is to bring every thought in captivity to the LORD. It is easier to discipline our actions at times than our thoughts. "Whenever your mind wonders, lasso those thoughts and bring them into My Presense" - Jesus is Calling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be one of my favorite posts yet! I love the quote you mentioned by Batterson. I am so guilty of getting caught up in the destination or end goal that I miss out on the actual journey! I love your photos of Asheville. Asheville is beautiful year round; however, there is something extra special about Asheville in the fall:)

    ReplyDelete